Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pinterest Recipe of the Week

I don't know if any of you remember me saying I would like to try one recipe a week from Pinterest and blog about it.  We all know I love to cook and any excuse to use my Rachael Ray stuff works for me.

This week we tried a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.  I picked this one because the point value was fairly low.  You could have one cup for only four points.  That is a winner in my book.  Anyway, how was it? Fantastic!!!! There is a Mexican restaurant where I'm from and they buy chicken tortilla soup by the bag and this was so close to the real deal it was unreal.  Now I will give you a heads up as you are pouring all the ingredients into the pan you will be grossed out and it will look mushy and gross. .Give it a chance though, you will be so glad you did!  I did take a picture on my iPhone, but lets face it that picture is horrible so I used a photo from the original source up top.

Now for the recipe:
(adapted from Emily bites, which she adapted from food.com)

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
6 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded or chopped
1 cup water
1 (15 oz) can fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 can Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Celery Soup
1 can Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese Soup
½ can of Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chiles I did not use this because the family is not big on tomatoes
½ cup chunky salsa (I used Medium)
½ onion, chopped Did not use this either, although only because I didn't have it.
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped Did not use. We do no like cilantro in our house
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ t red chili powder I didn't add this in the soup, but did add red crushed pepper flakes to my personal bowl, since I have 5/6 year old eating this it couldn't be spicy.
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
12 T of tortilla strips (the type found in bags by the salad toppings) – I prefer New York Texas Toast brand in Chili Lime, but Fresh Gourmet also sells something similar

Directions:
1.    In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the tortilla strips and stir until mixed. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for one hour. When serving, sprinkle 1.5 tablespoons of tortilla strips over each cup of soup.

It says that it is 4pp per 1 cup serving (if you are keeping track) I personally always add a point to soups unless I have plugged it in myself, which I haven't had time to do with this one.

Now a picture: courtesy of EmilyBites.com






No comments:

Post a Comment